Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread

1.4K Flares Twitter 4 Facebook 319 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 1.1K StumbleUpon 1 1.4K Flares ×

gluten-free pumpkin bread

It’s been a while since I’ve posted a new recipe so I cooked up something extra special for ya today! Since it’s officially October I thought it would be appropriate to share one of my favorite fall recipes with you…yes, delicious gluten-free pumpkin bread! Mmmmm so good!

Today, the little one was down for a nap and we didn’t have anything sweet in the house (and I need my daily dose), so I decided to whip up my first batch of pumpkin bread of the season. Now, it’s technically called ‘bread’ but it tastes more like cake and I kinda like it that way :)

I started with a recipe I found on Gluten Free Goddess and made a few tweaks to make it my own. The pumpkin pie filling gives it just the right amount of pumpkin flavor and the spices add a little extra punch.

Here’s what you need:

1 cup packed organic light brown sugar
4 tablespoons pure maple syrup
1/4 cup light olive oil
1 tablespoon Ener-G Egg Replacer whisked with 1/4 cup warm water (or two large eggs, beaten)
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups Pumpkin Pie Mix
1 1/2 cups of Bob’s Red Mill All-Purpose Gluten-Free Baking Flour (or another GF baking mix of your choice)
2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon xanthan gum
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees

2. Mix all wet ingredients together and mix thoroughly

3. In a separate bowl combine all the dry ingredients together

4. Slowly combine the two mixtures and mix until all ingredients are blended together

5. Place the batter in a bunt cake or bread pan

6. Bake for 45-50 minutes or until you can pull a toothpick out without any bread sticking to it

7. Let it cool and then serve!

Gluten-Free Pumpkin Bread

Comments

Thanks so much for posting this. I love pumpkin bread, or anything pumpkin, I should say. And I am always looking for gluten-free recipes. I will definately try this one, it looks scrumptious. Thanks again, Kathi

2. Sam says

Hi Taryn! Thank you for posting this. A few years ago I found out that I too am allergic to gluten, dairy from a cow, and oh ya egg whites… so random right? Anyway, I had no idea about the Ener-G Egg Replacer! That is amazing news! Keep posting your great recipes! I send them to my roommate (who looooves baking) to make them for me :-). Miss you lots!!

• says

Hi Sam! Oh yes, Ener-G Replacer is my BFF. I use it in everything and for the most part I don’t taste a difference. I buy mine in the organic section at my grocery store and sometimes you can find it in the baking section. Your allergies are not random at all, coming from someone who is allergic to eggs (yolk and whites), gluten, soy and whey. Which means most of my recipes will be completely safe for you to eat, woo hoo! I also post other GF recipes from other bloggers on my FB page, so you may want to check that out too :)

Thanks for sharing this. I’ve been having trouble gaining the courage to bake gluten free (even though I’m supposed to be completely GF)… I had a few rough turnouts and I’m afraid to try again! I think I’m going to make this though.

Thanks!

Shannon @ Imperfectly-Inspired

• says

I know it’s tough at first, but once you get the hang out it I promise baking GF is not that bad. Definitely try this, you won’t be disappointed :) Thanks for stopping by!

Oh yum. This sounds delicious. My daughter is GF and she is always open to trying new things.. I think I could even get her to try this.

Stopping by via Addicted 2 Decorating

ooooh yummy. i am gluten-free as well, so this is a perfect recipe for me! i love all things pumpkin, and don’t get to have anything like this very often! :)

i would love for you to come link up this or any other amazing project at my creativity party going on right now!

letbirdzfly.blogspot.com

thanks so much for sharing!

6. Angien24 says

Oh thank you! My gluten free friend has lots of great baking alternatives but misses her pumpkin scones the most. This would be a great fill in, since she loves pumpkin flavored anything, like I do! =D

7. Christina says

Thanks for the GF recipe, my cousin’s little girl who is 2 was diagnosed with Celiac when she was like 17 months and is very picky about what she eats. If you have any good websites to help out that would be greatly appreciated!

8. Betty says

I’m new to gluten free baking – I would love to make it for my nephew. Where in the supermarket do you find xanthan gum? Is it a powder or an actual gum? Thanks for the info!

• says

Hi Betty! I buy my Xanthum gum in the organic section at Fred Meyer. You can probably find it in any natural foods section or store. It’s in a powder form and is used as a thickening agent. I use the Bob’s Red Mill brand, you can also find it on Amazon. It can be on the pricey side but since you only use 1-2 tsp per recipe it lasts forever. I’m still on my first bag and I’ve been GF for two years :)

• Maria says

Taryn,
          Do you think the xanthan gum is a necessity? I have all ingredients except for that. This is my first attempt at GF baking without a mix. Your recipe sounds wonderful.

Thanks!
          Maria

• says

Hi Maria! I haven’t made it without the Xanthum gum so I can’t say exactly how it will turn out , it’s just used as a binding agent to replace the gluten. You can also use guar gum. I think it will still turn out ok.

• Maria says

Thanks, Taryn. I read that cornstarch is a substitute for xanthan gum. I have that on hand — I’ll let you know how it goes!

9. Katie says

Thanks so much for posting this! We’ve been gfcf for 18 months now, and I’m always looking for recipes, especially around the holidays, that are good substitutes for the traditional holiday food we’ve always loved. This looks like it will fit the bill!

10. Karen Rutigliano says

That looks amazing! My friend, Sofi, who knows I’m GF forwarded this to me, I’m glad she did, will need to try it out…love pumpkin…btw, if you have a Trader Joe’s in your neighborhood, I recently found Pumpkin Cream Cheese that is GF and deee-lish, and I’m thinking would go great on this bread (can never have too much pumpkin)….Thanks!
    Karen :-)

11. Erin says

This cake was AMAZING!!!!!!! I made it for a campground cookout and nobody could believe that it was gluten free. Just made it again today so that my family could acutally get some!!!!

This sounds yummy! Thanks for linking up with us at Show & Share! Can’t wait to see what you link up this week!

Marie
    mylilpinkpocket.blogspot.com

13. Belen in Boulder says

This is a great recipe. I cut back on the sugar by 1/4 cup, and used sunflower oil instead of the light olive oil, and added one more egg to make it more cake-like. I also like to bake with coconut flour and reduced the g.f. Flours by 1/4 cup and replaced it with coconut flour. I also sift the dry ingredients before blending with we ingredients. It turned out delicious! Of course, I use all organic ingredients.

14. nicole says

This was yummy. I made it for Thanksgiving. I didn’t use any xantham gum and I used the gluten Free girl flour mix. Great flavor and texture especially the next day. Thanks tor posting this.

• says

I’m glad you liked it! Thanks so much for letting me know how it turned out. I really appreciate the feedback! Hope you had a great Thanksgiving :)

15. Trisha says

Just had to say thank you again for this recipe. My brother-in-law is dating a girl who is allergic to gluten, egg, soy, dairy and nuts so I was happy to have something tasty to feed her at a family BBQ. And my husband’s parents LOVE it and ate more of it then anyone else. They keep calling it my pumpkin cake recipe even though I remind them its from you. And now they’ve told me they want this as a regular dish at family gatherings. Thank you tons for suppling a tasty treat everyone can eat!

YUM! I love pumpkin, and was looking for something to make tonight! I posted this on my Facebook page to share with my followers. Thanks, Taryn, for the great recipe. I’m going to be exploring more on you site.

17. Michele says

This was awesome! Thanks for posting. We used coconut sugar as a replacement for the light brown sugar and 2 duck eggs instead of eggs or egg replacer. Delicious! Thumbs-up from the whole family. We did it in a bundt pan too, and I agree that it is more like cake. Would taste excellent with some icing….an almost healthy GFDF dessert! Thanks again!