Pretty ‘N’ Pink Tutu Tutorial

I have no idea why it has taken me so long to put this post up on the blog! Especially since it’s one of my favorite projects of late and the main subject happens to be pretty high on my list :)

Back in September Baby E turned 6 months (where does time go) and we celebrated by having photos taken with the amazingly talented Keri Meyers Photography. She also did Baby E’s newborn pics and I couldn’t be happier with how everything turned out. Seriously, if you ever want to swoon over newborn babies just visit her blog.

A few weeks before the photo shoot I started planning Baby E’s outfits. Oh my gosh I’m so glad I had a girl because they are SO much fun to dress up! I knew I wanted one of the outfits to be a fluffy pink tutu, strands of pearls and a big headband. I had such a specific vision for the outfit and I knew the only way I was going to achieve the complete look was to make it. So that’s what I did.

I love how it turned out. Baby E had fun playing with the ruffles and we have some really great shots of her twirling the pearls. She is SUCH a girly girl :)

Pink Tutu for Baby Girl by Design, Dining + Diapers, tutu tutorial, DIY tutu, baby photo ideas

Here is a closer look at the tutu. I’ve also provided a quick tutorial at the end of the post.

Coordinating headband and pearls…

Tutorial

What you need to make the tutu:

–  1-2 spools of 6″ tulle (You can also cut tulle into strips, but once I discovered the precut spools I was hooked)
-Elastic for waistband
-1″ satin ribbon for trim

1. Cut the tulle into 22″ strips (or length of your choice) and cut the ribbon into 6 1/2″ strips

2. Machine sew the ribbon onto each end of the tulle strips

Now here are where things get a bit tricky because I totally failed and forgot to take pictures of the rest of the steps. So I’ll do my best to explain them.

4. Sew the ends of the elastic together to create the waistband. Baby E is on the smaller side for a 6 month old and the waistband was about 10″ and she still had some room.

5. Take each piece of tulle and tie it onto the waistband, just one tight loop will do the trick (like the 1st step in tying your shoe).

6. Repeat step 5 until the waistband is completely covered. The more the pieces you fit on the skirt, the fuller and fluffier it will be.

7. To keep the ends of the satin ribbon from fraying, you can place some Fray Check on the ends.

And that’s it! I’m thinking about making a Holiday version for Santa Pics :)

This tutu will be making an appearance at these parties :)

Taryn is the owner/editor of Design, Dining and Diapers, a lifestyle blog that focuses on DIY home decor, design, seasonal crafts, easy recipes and just being a mom! She is all about making things for less by upcycling thrift store finds and using what’s on hand. Taryn lives in the greater Seattle area with her husband, 3 year old daughter and 1 year old son.

Comments

Hoping to see your Christmas version. I don’t think that a wee girl can have enough tutus :-) Mine has an ever-growing collection.

Happy new follower and hoping that you can pop over and share at my Pin’Inspiration Party.

2. Carrie @ My Favorite Finds says

This is nothing short of adorable. I love making tutus, also, for my daughter. And her photo is beyond cute!

3. Christina says

this is by far my fav tutu I’ve seen around online, so I decided “oh, I’ll just whip up 12 for my 5 year old’s birthday party. But uh, yeah…you failed to mention how LONG it takes to sew those ribbons! WOW. I’m only two in and I think I might die. ;)

4. Chelsea Coulston says

Hey Taryn! It’s Chelsea! Love your blog. If I want to make this for a newborn should I still use 22″ long tulle? What do you think? I don’t have a baby to measure so I’m going on a whim. Thank you for sharing your creative expertise :)

• says

Hey Chelsea! I would definitely make it shorter for a new born, maybe even as short as 10-12″. The 22″ pieces of tulle make a really long skirt. Baby E is on the tall side and at 9 months the skirt was way below her knees. This would look super cute for a newborn! Congrats on your baby girl :)

5. Jamie says

Quick tip- I make these all the time. You see the ribbon to long pieces of tulle and then cut it into 6 inch strips! Also- I never cut the ribbon first (I have some tulle that only came in strips but I just like up the tulle as I go and keep the ribbon on the spool). Also- I use a wood burner to no fray the edges- fray check stains! :)

6. Allison says

Everything I know about sewing, I’ve learned on my own by trial and a lot of error;-). What tension settings and such…thread, etc do you recommend? My machine and I are not agreeing on this project:-(

7. Shelly says

i love this idea :) As a bow maker i just want to say that if you run a lighter over the ends of your ribbon after cutting and before sewing it to the tulle it will keep the edges from fraying like that :) Gonna make one of these for my daughter as part of her trick-or-treat costume. thanks again.

1. […] My baby turned 1!!… a few months ago. Her birthday was in October and it was  a beautiful warm day.. so I decided that I wanted to do an outdoor cake smash photo shoot..  We had so much fun.. but Savannah was pretty much bored of her cake after just a few bites. I made her cake that morning from a tutorial I found on pinterest. I have NEVER decorated a cake before.. but this was so easy!! I also made her tutu from pinterest when Savvy was 6 months.. but it still fit her just fine.  The bunting was pretty easy to make.. I just made it out of scrap fabric and yarn I had. The hardest thing was the balloons… who knew there was a helium shortage? The first 3 stores I went to were out of helium.. but I finally got them!     Cake Tutorial  Tutu Tutorial […]