Hope everyone is having a great weekend! I normally don’t post on Saturdays, but I couldn’t wait until Monday to share this recipe with you! The other day I was eating Theo’s Peppermint Stick Dark Chocolate (so delicious) and became inspired to make a gluten-free dessert that matched those flavors. On a side note, Theo Chocolate based right here in Seattle and all of their chocolate is organic and fair trade and extremely allergy friendly. They are a bit pricey but are worth every penny!
So after a few trial and errors I finally perfected this recipe for Gluten-Free Peppermint Chocolate Sandwiches. It’s not only melt-in-your-mouth good, but it is extremely easy! It’s perfect for a quick holiday dessert and a great recipe if you are having gluten-free friends over for dinner and have no idea what to make.
*This recipe makes about 10 3″ Sandwiches.
Here’s what you need:
- 2 cups of Pamela’s Gluten-Free Chocolate Cake Mix (See, I told you it was easy, you only need a cake mix!)
- 1 1/2 tsp. Ener-G Egg Replacer + 2 Tbs. of water (or 1 egg)
- 1/3 cup oil
- 1/3 water
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 cup softened butter
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 2 tsp. Peppermint Extract
- 3 GF Candy Canes crushed *
* Note: Not all Candy Canes are gluten-free, make sure to read labels! If you are unsure, here is a great article on which brands are certified gluten-free.
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. In a large bowl, combine cake mix, egg replacer (or egg), water and oil and mix together until smooth.
3. Place 2″ balls of dough onto an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake in the oven for about 15 minutes.
5. Let the cookies cool.
1. Using a hand mixer, blend together cream cheese, softened butter and peppermint extract.
2. Slowly add the powdered sugar to the mix, one cup at a time.
3. Stir in crushed candy canes. (I placed the candy canes in a sealed plastic bag and then used a rolling pin to crush them into tiny pieces)
4. Lastly, spread the frosting on the flat side of the cookie and place a 2nd cookie on top to create a sandwich! Yum!
The dark chocolate and the peppermint are a perfect combo, even Santa would enjoy them for a treat :)
Linking to and some of the parties here.