I LOVE avocados and can never seem to get enough of them. I think they add a lot of flavor to a dish. No matter if they are used as a garnish or incorporated into the meal. This salad was inspired by my time spent in France. My host mom would make a delicious couscous salad every week that was filled with fresh avocados and other vegetables. It turned out to be one of my favorite meals while I lived there. But now that I’m gluten-free and couscous is out of the picture, I’m making it with quinoa instead.
– 1 ½ cups uncooked quinoa
– 3 cups chicken broth
– 2 large avocados diced and seeds
– 1 tomato diced
– ½ red onion diced
– 1 cucumber diced
– 1/3 cup chopped cilantro
– ½ cup Mung Bean Sprouts
– ¼ cup olive oil
– 1 tbsp. lime juice
– ½ tsp. salt
– 1 tsp. cumin
– Combine chicken broth and quinoa into a saucepan and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until you can fluff the quinoa with a fork.
– Set aside to cool.
– Dice the avocados, tomato, cucumber, and cilantro. (Note: Keep the avocado seeds in the salad, they will help the avocados from browning)
– For the dressing, combine olive oil, lime juice, cumin and salt.
– Lastly, toss together the quinoa, diced vegetables, avocado seeds, bean sprouts, and dressing.
Here’s a tip! If you save the avocado seeds and place them in the salad it will help them from browning!
If you love avocados as much I as do, don’t be ashamed to flaunt it! Tweet your favorite avocado recipe to @guacgrl and use the hash tag #iloveavocados. You can also grab this badge from I love avocados on Facebook. If you are interested in more avocado recipes for Super Bowl Sunday, visit Avocados from Mexico