How was everyone’s weekend? Or are you one of the lucky ones who have Monday off too? We are officially half way through January which means Valentine’s Day is just around the corner. I’ve been seeing some adorable Valentine’s Day posts from other bloggers, so I thought I would jump in on the festivities.
I shared these Gluten-Free Red Velvet Mini Cupcakes over at The Frugal Girls last week, but I thought I would share them here too in case any of you missed them! Enjoy :)
*Yields about 75 mini cupcakes
What you need:
For the cupcakes
- 2 1/2 cups Gluten-Free All Purpose Flour ( I prefer Bob’s Red Mill )
- 1 1/2 cups oil
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 4 1/2 tsp of Ener-G Egg Replacer + 1/4 cup water ( or 3 eggs)
- 2 Tbs. cocoa powder
- 1 tsp. Baking soda
- 1 tsp. Xanthan gum
- 2 tsp. GF Vanilla
- 2 tsp. Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1 oz. Red food coloring
- 1/8 cup water
For the frosting
- 6 oz Cream cheese
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup butter at room temperature
- 2 Tbs. Buttermilk
- 1 tsp. GF Vanilla
How to make these little bites of heaven:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. Mix oil, sugar, eggs, vinegar, vanilla, food coloring and water together.
3. In a separate bowl sift dry ingredients together, then slowly add it to the wet mixture.
4. Nest, place the cupcake liners into the tray and fill 3/4 the way full.
5. Bake for 15 minutes or until you can pull a toothpick out and it stays clean.
6. While cupcakes are cooling make the cream cheese frosting.
7. Using a hand mixer, blend the cream cheese, butter, vanilla and buttermilk together until smooth.
8. Slowly add the powdered sugar into the mixture.
9. Put the frosting into a plastic bag that seals and then cut one of the corners off to create a decorating tip (or use a piping bag if you have one).
10. Apply the frosting to the cupcake in a circular motion (if you choose to do the decorative frosting, I would double the recipe. If you are just going to apply one layer then you will have plenty)
And because Valentine’s Day is just around the corner, here is an easy way to dress them up for the special occasion.
I went to the dollar store and found these cute cupcake liners, I got 100 for $1. I also found these adorable heart stickers at the dollar store and thought they would make cute cupcake toppers. To make them, I simply put two heart stickers back to back and placed the toothpick in the middle. So easy, inexpensive and just added a whole new look to the cupcakes.
These red velvet mini cupcakes would make a great addition to a Valentine’s Day party or gathering. They are the perfect bite size dessert.
If you are gluten-free or know someone who is, you can view all of my recipes here.