Tag Blanket Tutorial

2.1K Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 36 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 2.1K StumbleUpon 0 2.1K Flares ×

Happy (almost) Monday! I don’t know if there is something in the water or if it’s just my age, but it seems like almost EVERYONE I know is either pregnant or just had a baby. Babies, Babies, everywhere! It’s such a fun time in life. This month alone I have been to 3 baby showers and there are plenty more happening in the near future. I’ve been busy making baby gifts so I thought I would put on a theme week dedicated to Baby Shower Gift Ideas for all of you!

This week I’ll be sharing three easy tutorials and on Wednesday I have a fabulous giveaway that ties into the theme. If  you are going to be attending a baby shower soon you won’t want to miss it.

Today, I’m going to be sharing with you a tutorial on how to make this soft and cozy tag blanket!

I’ll be the first to admit, I am a little behind the times when it came to the concept of a tag blanket. I didn’t even know about them until Baby E was about 3 months old. I was at a baby shower for a friend and one of the guests made one for the mom-to-be and I thought it was brilliant. Come to find out they have been around forever and are extremely popular. So even though you have probably seen one before, here is my take on it!

These blankets are a perfect little security blanket and the tags provide a lot of entertainment as babies start to discover their fingers. Tag blankets are very easy to make, even for someone who has very little sewing experience. If you own a sewing machine and can sew a semi-straight line, you’ll be just fine. These make a great baby shower gift and can be so personal!

Start by choosing a color scheme you want to use. I chose to use two different colors but you could just as easily do a solid colored blanket. In my case, the baby’s nursery was going to be black, green and cream so those are the colors I chose. (I was originally going to alternate the cream and black ribbon pictured above but chose to just use the cream after I got started)

Here is what you need:

- 1/2 yard of fabric

- 3 yards of ribbon

- Corresponding thread to match the fabric

- Sewing machine

Instructions:

Start by cutting two 14 X 14″ pieces of fabric.

Cut 20 pieces of ribbon at 5″ each

Pin the ribbon at equal distances a part. I placed mine at , 3″, 5″, 7″, etc.

I pinned the ribbons on all sides. Later on, I realized I didn’t need the end ribbons, so that’s why I placed the circles over them. If you follow my pattern, only place 5 ribbons on each side.

After all the pins are in place, lay the second square on top of the first one, keeping right sides together and repin (remove the pins from the inside and place them through all 3 layers).

Tag Blanket Tutorial

Leave about a 3″ opening on one side. You’ll remove one of the ribbons to do this. Flip the blanket inside out so the right side of the fabric is now on the outside.

Pin the remaining ribbon and use a top stitch to close the seam.

Tag Blanket Tutorial

There you have it!

Happy sewing! Come back tomorrow for a special edition of Top 10 Tuesday!

Baby Shower Gift Ideas

Linking to all of the parties here along with Today’s Creative BlogTipJunkie, Home Stories A 2 Z , The Girl Creative

Comments

1. Shirlley Lupton says

I have never heard of these before now. I know I am old but I also must have buried my head in the sand. Thanks for the blog.

2. Linda says

I made one of these for my grandson. I used different lengths and types of ribbons. He loved the different textures. I don’t know what most kids do with theirs but he sucked on the ribbons and played with them. I doubled sewed everything to make sure they were secure. It is an interesting way to provide a different type of sensory experience.

3. Andria says

I like your tutorial. It seems like a simple project for my new niece or nephew. However, in the materials section, you say we need 1/4 yard of fabric, which is 9 inches by either 44 or 58 inches. You won’t get a 14 inch square out of a 1/4 yard.

I found some UCLA fabric, didn’t know what to make with it, saw this and thought what a PERFECT gift for our new baby grandson whose parents both went to UCLA! Great gift to make with plush and / or college fleece fabric! Thank you for tutorial!! Debi in CA

5. Tracy says

I love to give the mommy to be a shower gift instead of stuff for the baby. I give her a nursing tank top or a tank top with support, maxi pads, cream, wipes (flushable) bath stuff, new pajamas, headband, hair clips, socks, treats to snack on in labor for the new daddy and mommy too, like life savers or tic tacs, The Happiest Baby on The Block book, and music for Daddy and anything else for the mommy if I know her well. I do throw in a couple of little board books for the baby too. A gift card for dinner is nice too. My sister gave me all this and then some after my first pregnancy and I’ve paid it forward ever since.

6. Elham says

wonderful post! thanks for sharing. it inspired me and i’m hoping to make one. someone made a similar blanket for my first child (minus the tags) and i’m hopeful to make one for my second, as my first cherishes hers… it may seem like a really silly question – but what material did you use to sew the blanket and was it just a regular sewing needle? thanks so much for your help, in advance ! : )

For example, in more complex cases we have experts well versed in
    handling such difficult procedures as bone grafting, sinus grafting and full
    mouth reconstruction. Some people choose non-sugar sweeteners
    to avoid the ill effects of sugar. It will be for this new hominid sub-specie from this modern recent history.

hello.
    Love the ribbon blankets..
    a lady at church just asked if I would make her another one for her next baby.. she said her son, now 3 won’t sleep w/o his :- Nice to know it is enjoyed..
    I made mine with differnt color ribbons & just one color fabric..
    Thanks for posting this..
    Lisa
    PS the minky is a bit irritating to sew with . reminds me of working with a heavy velvet :-)

9. Tami says

Thanks for the tutorial! I just made one for my friend’s little one. I didn’t realize how long the tags were until I had it finished. Mine are about 2.5″. Is this too long? I don’t want it to be a choking hazard.