Did you hear? I made it into the Top 15 in the Creative Blogger’s Got Talent Contest going on over at Every Creative Endeavor! A HUGE thank you to everyone who clicked over and voted for me. I’m already working on my project for Round 3, eeek! But for now, I’m really excited to finally show off the project that helped me into the next round!
Remember back in the summer when I bought these awesome Goodwill Chairs for $1.30? Yes, you heard me right. 130 cents for BOTH chairs. Well, they have been sitting in my garage ever since and I thought this was the perfect opportunity to bring them out and finally give them a well needed makeover. After a little TLC, I transformed the chairs into these beauts.
If you can’t remember what they looked like before here is a quick before and after.
I chose dove white for the paint color and after 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of paint these chairs were looking good as new. The look wouldn’t be complete without this chic upholstery fabric I purchased at Hobby Lobby, it was a little steep at $24.99 a yard but it was 30% off AND I used a gift card that I won at The Frugal Girls, so still free for me!
I absolutely love how they turned out. You can’t beat a new set of chairs for only $1.30!
If you’re interested in all the lovely details of the transformation keep on reading…
I’d had my eye on this fabric at Hobby Lobby for quite some time. I loved the neutral tones and the beautiful typography. I knew it would fit perfectly in my updated family room. Here is a pic of my daughter and I on our outing to Hobby Lobby!
She was way more interested in the home decor accessories than taking a picture. I can’t argue with that.
1. I started by removing the cushion from the chair frame. Thankfully it wasn’t attached so it just lifted right off.
2. My naked chair.
3. Looking at some of the places where the paint had rubbed off, it was clear that this was easily the 3rd or 4th time these chairs have been painted. Instead of sanding down all 3 layers of paint, I choose just to sand down the areas were the paint was chipping and smooth it out. If you were doing this the ‘right’ way, I suppose you should sand down the whole chair. If these were real antiques I would have, but since they were only $1.30 it was worth the shortcut in my book.
I started with a coat of primer. I was not happy with how the primer was looking with a paint brush. You can see how the brush strokes were very visible and the primer was thick and gooey. I switched over to a small paint roller and I was MUCH happier with how it looked. See how smooth it is compared to the brush?
I applied 1 coat of primer and 2 coats of dove white paint to achieve the look I wanted.
Now onto the upholstery.
4. I started by removing the existing fabric from the seat cover. I used a screw driver to loosen up the staples and then pulled the fabric off.
5. To my surprise I found ANOTHER layer of upholstery. I told you these bad boys had been worked on before.
6. Now I know why these were recovered.
7. These staples were obviously the originals. They were rusted and I honestly wasn’t sure I was going to be able to pry them off.
8. I used some pliers to pull the remaining staples out of the wood.
9. Ahhh nice and clean again.
10. I used the original upholstery as a pattern for my new seat cushions.
11. Now, I don’t know about you but I like a little extra padding under my toosh (not that I don’t have enough already), so I used some pillow stuffing to add an extra layer of padding between the wood and the foam pad. It actually made a big difference.
12. Next, I placed the seat on top of my new fabric and started the upholstering process. It’s actually extremely simple, just pull the fabric as tight as possible and staple it around each side. Keep tugging at the fabric as you move around all of the sides.
What a transformation! I’m still smiling about this one :)