Tea Stained Coffee Filter Wreath

This past weekend was an absolute blast as we celebrated my daughter’s 1st birthday. I am dying to show you all of the details and DIY projects but I have to hold off just a bit! BUT since I tend to be a little impatient, I am giving you a sneak peek into the theme of the party by sharing one of my projects with you, a tea stained coffee filter wreath. This project may just look like another decorative wreath, but it actually holds a lot of family history and was a very special addition to her party.

Coffee Filter Wreath

I’ve seen some beautiful coffee filter wreaths and I have fallen in love with them. They are simply gorgeous and I knew I wanted to make one for Baby E’s birthday since it fit perfectly into the theme.

Tea Stained Coffee Filter Wreath

I wanted a more vintage look so I tea-stained the coffee filters using tea from my collection.

I love the texture the coffee filters bring and the romantic look.

Tea Stained Coffee Filter Wreath Flowers

As I mentioned earlier, this wreath has become very special to me because the gems used in the wreath were actually my great grandmother’s and the person who Baby E was named after. The pink and white pearl clusters were actually a pair of her earrings and the brooch was a gift given to her for 30 years of volunteer service at a local organization.

The ribbon also holds sentimental value as it was left over from my wedding day.

I really enjoyed making this wreath and I am really happy with how it turned out. It will be really special to tell Baby E about it one day.

In case you are curious on how I put this together, here are some basic instructions.

Instructions:

1. Place 5 dark color tea bags into a large pot. Bring to boil and then place on low-medium heat.

2. Place 20 coffee filters into the pot and use a spoon to make sure they are fully submerged. Soak them for 10-20 minutes or until you get the color that you want. Repeat until all of the coffee filters are stained ( I used about 100 for this wreath).

I clipped the coffee filters onto pant hangers and hung them in the laundry room to help them dry faster. I also spread a few out on top of paper towels and that worked too.

3. Let the coffee filters dry completely so they are not as fragile.

4. Wrap the coffee filter around a screw driver and push it into the wreath. You may need to do a few extra jabs to really get it secure in there.

5. Place the coffee filters about 1-1 1/2″ a part (to get the fullness of this wreath).

Repeat until the wreath is completely covered and add some bling of your choice!

Tea Stained Coffee Filter Wreath

If you like this, you are going to LOVE Baby E’s party!

Taryn is the owner/editor of Design, Dining and Diapers, a lifestyle blog that focuses on DIY home decor, design, seasonal crafts, easy recipes and just being a mom! She is all about making things for less by upcycling thrift store finds and using what’s on hand. Taryn lives in the greater Seattle area with her husband, 3 year old daughter and 1 year old son.

Comments

GORGEOUS! I LOVE, love this. Actually, I have to make one, like ASAP. :) I was thinking about using food coloring though, and different flowers, so it won’t be a complete copy of yours. :) Thanks for the idea!

BEAUTIFUL! Absolutely beautiful! So pretty and elegant looking, just love it! Love how you stained it, too! I’m pinning this so I remember it for the future! Thanks for the inspiration! :o)

This is just lovely! I love that you made it sooo special! I also like the idea of using different colored filters! Thanks for the inspiration.

xoxo
    twentyfour7

4. Briana says

this is beautiful. i want to make one, but i’m not sure if it would be too fragile to put on an outside door. what do you think?

5. Petra says

i fell IN LOVE with this…i ended up making it without the bow and gems [a lil too blingy for my home decor] and it came out REMARKABLE!!!! thanks for the inspiration!

here’s a tip: after taking them out the tea brew, get out as much tea as possible and then toss in the DRYER!!!! i became too impatient….LOL they dried FAST so this project took less than an hour, from start to finish!!!!

Lovely – I loved the look of this wreath! Very nice job and thanks for sharing. I “hopped” over from Chic on a Shoestring link party. Hope you can “see” me too!
    Hugs –
    Carol@arewethereyet

I’m totally obsessed with this and have been anxiously awaiting the tutorial since I saw it on ECE’s competition. Good luck with the rest of the comp! I’m pinning this IMMEDIATELY :D

Hi! I’m Elyse from Shabby Sweet Tea. I saw your wreath on Centsational Girl’s Spring Craft Link Party. I have seen many coffee filter wreaths on blogs and Pinterest. I must say, yours is by far the pretties!! You just added a new project to my list. I will be checking back to see more of your little girl’s party! Have a great weekend. Following on my way out!

Really lovely! I think the doing the tea-staining yourself rather than using unbleached coffee filters really gives it better dimension and a nice softness. I love the brooch and earring accents – so beautiful.

10. Deana says

The Breville Automatic Tea Maker & Kettle is great for lazy people like me. I am complete sipping a cup of tea in the morning facing to monitor. Tea is a fuel to make the engine function and flow.

11. Rhonda says

How did you get the ribbon to look like roses? Was it gathered and sewn along the edges and then swirled into place or some other technique? I’m just not sure how to get those rosette looking ribbons?

12. rootedinthyme says

What a great project! Would love if you could share on Simple & Sweet Fridays. Everyone will love it…

Jody

13. Enza says

I fell in love with this gorgeous wreath, can you however tell me the size of wreath you bought and if you spray painted it.

love love the look …to dry set oven at 200 and lay the coffee filters on cookie sheets they dry fast and you can get some interesting shades in color if you leave wrinkle as they dry

Absolutely gorgeous! I’m loving this…particularly how you were able to add such meaningful, sentimental connections to yourself and your grandmother. What a special treasure as well as a beautiful piece of home decor. Thank you so much for entering this in One Crafty Contest; best of luck to you!

16. B says

Hey there, wondering what kind of wreath you used? is it Styrofoam? I have never seen one with the straw material before.Do you think I could get it at JoAnns or Michaels? Thanks so much for posting this. So lovely!

Taryn, thanks for this delightful tutorial. I used your methods to make a similar pattern. I used burlap for the bow and flowers, added feather earrings to the center and hung it using jute. I would never have thought to do any of this if it weren’t for you. Thank you thank you! If you want to check out the finished product: http://preparationmeetingopportunity.wordpress.com/2012/05/30/project-1-tea-stained-coffee-filter-wreath-with-feathers-burlap-bow-and-flowers/

18. Evelyn says

Thank you for sharing! I am absolutely in love w this and I can’t wait to use these ideas for my daughter who will be 1 soon!!! Thanks for your creative amazing work!!!!

19. Christina says

I love this! So today I made one of my own. I had trouble attaching the ribbon. How did you attach yours? I sewed my bow to the coffee filters

1. […] Adventures of Sugar Belle. Crafts: 1. Fabric birds from Beehive and Birdsnest, 2. tea-stained coffee filter wreath from Design, Dining, and Diapers, and 3. spring moss wreath from Little Birdie Secrets. […]

2. […] home, I googled tea dyed coffee filter wreaths and found this tutorial that helped me also.    http://designdininganddiapers.com/2012/03/tea-stained-coffee-filter-wreath/   The only thing that was different, was when making the one at Thanksgiving Point, they dried […]