Front Porch Reveal

1.8K Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 7 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 1.8K StumbleUpon 0 1.8K Flares ×

I mentioned last week that I got a sudden urge to give our TINY front porch a little facelift. I wouldn’t exactly say it was a ‘sudden urge’ because it’s been something on my list forever, but I’ve been so focused on the interior of the house that the curb appeal has been a little lacking.  I should also mentioned that just about anything would make our front porch look better given we haven’t done a single thing to it since we’ve lived there (and we got married almost 4 years ago).

This is my first time decorating a porch, so be gentle with your comments. While it looks 100% better than it did before, I am already making tweaks in my mind! But than again, what space is actually ever complete anyway?

Here is how the porch looks today:

And here is how the porch looked before:

I know, frightening.

So in just a few weekends here is what I did:

– Took off the screen door (we actually did this a few months ago)

- Painted the door with a rich charcoal gray

- Gave the trim and white columns a new coat of paint

- Spray painted the rusted gold door knob with a silver metal finish

- Made a new wreath

- Transformed dollar store flower pots

- Made a ‘Welcome’ sign from left over materials

- Painted an old chair white

- Purchased a few accessories

- Planted flowers in the pots

And it was worth it!

I stacked some old crates and arranged flower pots in a variety of sizes around them. I love the rustic feel they bring and thought they were perfect for a spring porch!

I purchases all of the flower pots at the dollar store and gave them a quick coat of white spray paint which gave them a cohesive look. The plain white felt a little sterile so I added a little sisal to spice them up.

This was my first time planting pots, ever. I don’t have much of a green thumb but I’m discovering how much I love fresh flowers. The pops of color bring so much life to a space. I only wish they lived year round!

We’ve had this old chair sitting in our garage forever, so I gave it a quick coat of paint which gave it a whole new look. I was originally planning on making a seat cover to go with it, but ended up using it as a floral accessory instead! May be next season ;)

Rustic Wreath

For more details on my wreath click here.

I made this welcome sign using left over plywood from my board and batten and left over paint from the new door color.

Thanks for taking the time to look at the little facelift I gave my front porch. I’ll be back sharing more details about all of the DIY projects later this week!

Linking to some of the parties here along with Today’s Creative BlogTipJunkieHome Stories A 2 Z, Funky Junk Interiors

Comments

1. Maureen says

What a wonderful transformation! I think it looks so colorful and cheerful and makes me want to come up and ring your bell! I can’t believe what you managed to do in such a short time. You should be really proud of yourself.

Taryn, your porch is so cute. I love how you put some of the potted flowers on stacked crates. And your door looks great with the new paint job. Would you consider adding your porch makeover to my “favorite room” linky party? It just started yesterday.

Shasta @intheoldroad.blogspot.com

Taryn, the crates, chair and rope around the pots just MAKE this make over! Love ‘em. :) The whole make over has completely changed your front porch, and that wreath looks amazing on the door! :)

4. Erin @ Simply Frugal Mom says

Adorable! I love everything about this. I need to find some crates like that. So many uses!

Your porch is adorable. We plan to add a small porch to the front of our house this spring. I can’t wait to decorate it. I’m so jealous that you have plants out already. It’s still too cold in my neck of the woods. I’[m visiting from Beneath My Heart Best DIY Projects linky party and am now following you.

6. Kate says

That looks fabulous! I would love for you to share this (and any other creations) at Pin It and Win It Wednesday you can win free ad space on my blog!!

I adore your pot transformation with the rope! Your porch looks so tidy {unlike mine} LOL
    Visiting from sugar and dots link party!

Taryn, you really cheered that sad little porch up so much with your flowers. I adore the stacked crates. And such great ideas on sprucing up those dollar store planters with spray paint and rope …

It’s so very welcoming now!

Linda

Love your sweet porch makeover! Especially love that you did it on the cheap, but tweaked it enough that it looks anything but cheap!

I have never created any pretty flower pots like that, but you make me feel like I could actually do it. I may even go out and give it a shot this weekend.

Thanks for sharing at SCC.

Jenny

10. Alida says

Love the crates!

Would love it if you would link up with my Thingamajig Thursday party going on now…

Alida

I love the porch update, and my favorite piece are the renovated veggie’s boxes,. they are awesome and give character to the porch. very beautiful flowers to contrast as well. I like it very much. Thanks for sharing.

Okay, I am reading every word of this because I need to give my front porch a makeover, too!! It’s so bare. I love the crates with the flowers. Where did you find those crates? So cute!! I always love to see what you’re up to Taryn! Thanks for sharing at oopsey daisy!

13. julie says

Very lovely! Love you rope idea with the big pots and your flower arranging is gorgeous! Thanks! Julie(the letter 4′s mom)

Oh my gosh, I love it! We are remodeling a foreclosure (now our home) and with all the projects we haven’t even thought about the poor, blank front porch. Yours is inspiring! Gorgeous gray door. I wouldn’t have thought of that and it is So gorgeous!

Nice work! The porch looks great. I love the stacked crates and the rope on the pots. The whole thing is so bright and fun.

16. christine says

cute porch. Some others ideas add some tall green plants on each side of the door and use some bigger pots on the steps. keep up the good ideas. blessing to you.