Pinterest Cleaning Tip Tested – DIY Dawn Shower Cleaner

4K Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 41 Google+ 1 Pin It Share 4K StumbleUpon 0 4K Flares ×

Before I dive into my amazing Pinterest find, I have to tell you some big news. This weekend I’m going on my very first Girl’s Weekend Trip since Baby E was born. Up until this point, the longest I have been away from her is about 10 hours and I have NEVER left her overnight. Even though I know she will be having fun at home with Daddy, I am still a little nervous. Nervous that I am going to miss her so much! But I’m also excited to spend some time with good friends and RELAX! To all you mom’s out there, tell me I am going to survive :)

So anyway. I found this pin on Pinterest from Food.com months ago, 23 weeks to be exact. Like a lot of my pins, I have every intention of trying them out but never actually get around to it (fail). UNTIL, my friend Leah recently posted on Facebook that she tried this DIY Dawn shower cleaner and it totally worked. Ok, I was hooked. I had to try it.

The recipe calls for 12 oz blue dawn dish soap and 12 oz white vinegar mixed together. The store I went to didn’t have the blue soap so I went with the red/orange soap and it totally ROCKED. Oh my gosh this is the best shower and glass cleaner I have EVER tried! And it’s super easy too.

So here’s what I did, mixed 12 oz of the dish soap with 12 oz of vinegar into a $1.98 spray bottle and put it to work. I sprayed the mixture onto the shower and let it sit for about 30 minutes and then washed it off. Holy cow I was smiling ear to ear. I’m in love.

So if you have pinned this same cleaning recipe or heard others talk about it, you HAVE to try it. It’s a miracle worker.

Ok, thats all for today. Have a great weekend :)

Comments

1. Tani@Tagana Rose says

I’ve tried a similar mixture before and agree, it realy does do wonders (better than any store bought product could do)!!! I’m also excited you are getting out – I hope you enjoy yourself:)

I totally need try this! Seriously, you have no idea how badly I need to do this in my shower. LOL! Thanks so much for the great tip Taryn. :-) And, you are going to have an absolutely fantastic time on your girls weekend. I was always the most nervous right after I left the house but once I got to my destination and started having fun, I relaxed and just enjoyed the break. It will be good for you but it will also be so good for your hubby to have that time with you daughter! I’m going to Haven and leaving my family for 5 nights and I’m totally freaking out so I will have to take my own advice on this one! :-)
    Vanessa

I have had this pinned FOREVER and have the yuckiest soap scum, but have just never made time for it. We are even trying to sell our house and that wasn’t motivation enough. Now that I’ve seen your “review”, I’m totally doing it. Thanks for the reminder!

P.S. I think getting away from our kids to recharge is the best thing we can do for ourselves. Have fun!

4. CJ says

I found that on Pinterest as well and tried it. I had so much leftover ‘juice’ that I sprayed the entire shower, not just the door. BIG MISTAKE!! I have ruined my BLACK marble shower. Who knew?? Vinegar and marble do NOT MIX. :( Hey, but the door was clean! Even if I had not sprayed the shower walls, at the base of the door is a black marble sill – as the ‘juice’ ran down the door it pooled there and at the very least that would have been ruined. :(

I’m totally going to try this. My husband is obsessed with buying the shower cleaners in the stores and every week we are buying another one. We already have dawn and vinegar so I can’t wait to try this. thanks for sharing and i’m pinning it on my pinterest if that’s ok? :-)

6. Carmen says

I just whipped up a batch of this, AMAZING! My daughter and I both get ready for school and work and I don’t have time to scrub,this takes the scrubbing away. Now if I can only find something for her to stop loosing hair !!! Lok

7. Pam says

I saw a similar pin the other day. But that pin said to boil the vinegar for 2 minutes then add to the dawn in spray bottle and mix. Then spray all over glass in shower and leave on for 2 hours. I followed exactly and my glass was amazingly clean. After light scub down and rinse with hot water I then used squeegee and it glided down the glass.

8. Linda says

The only blue dawn I could find was the Ultra Dawn. It has extra suds and needed ++ rinsing. Is there another blue dawn on the market?

9. Bill S says

For those who like to use a ecofriendly and household safe ready to use shower cleaner, there is a new “green” cleaning chemical manufacturer that has an excellent shower cleaner that dissolves soap scum. The company is BioWorx.us They are coming out with a full line of household cleaners. Their goal is to have green cleaners outperform the best non-green cleaners. I tried just about every shower cleaner known to mankind trying to remove nasty soap scum buildup in my kids shower. With this, a corn based product, the heavy layer of soap scum dissolved like butter. I now use it on a regular basis not because it works, but because I have had skin cancer a couple times and I hate the thought of showering with toxic residue from regular cleaning chemicals.

Thanks so much for this. I pinned it a while back and have been using it ever since. I’m referring to your post on my own blog tomorrow… So thanks again!