So I have some big news… today is officially my 1 year blogiversary! Exactly one year ago today I launched this little thing called Design, Dining + Diapers! I’m so thankful for all of YOU who are joining me in this journey, this year would not have been the same without you. While today is the official day, all of the festivities will take place next week, so get ready for a week of fun giveaways! (I also have one more spot open so email me if you are interested!)
Today, I’m sharing a fun project I finished this week. I’m finally in the stages of working on the little ‘details’ of the family room I’m so excited to FINALLY be in this stage because these are my favorite kinds of projects. Quick and easy yet make such an impact.
The other day I was shopping at the Goodwill and came across a small and sad looking watering can. Baby E actually pointed to it from the cart and so I picked it up to take a look. She must be taking after her momma! At the time I wasn’t sure what I was going to do with it but an idea eventually popped into my head. I decided to turn this little water can into a rustic inspired planter for succulents. It goes perfectly with the new space.
In case you are wondering, there is no real inspiration behind the #2. It just seems to be the standard number I see on cool vintage pieces when I go antique shopping. So I thought I’d go with it.
I’m really happy with how it turned out, it’s just another little detail that makes the space feel personal and adds a little charm.
I just hope I can manage to keep these succulents alive. I am terrible with keeping plants alive, especially indoor ones. Good thing these don’t need a lot of water.
So if you have a hard time remembering to water plants like me, go with succulents :)
We all love before and after pics so here is the money shot. Quite a transformation, eh? (No, I’m to from Canada but the border is only about 1.5 hours away, so close enough.)
If you would like to turn your own watering can into a succulent planter, here is a little tutorial.
1. Pick out a watering can and give it a good cleaning.
2. I used a Valspar spray primer for the first coat.
3. I always suggest using a primer base when painting metal, it will help your desired paint color adhere and not chip.
4. I chose a Bronzed Metal Metalic Spray from Rustoleum. I love how it went on and I am in love with the color.
5. Next, I used my Silhouette to cut out the number 2 onto a piece of vinyl. I like using vinyl because it generally sticks really well to the surface of the project and then peels off when you are done painting. However, for some reason this vinyl didn’t want to stick so I had to tape it down. I used American Typewriter font.
6. Because the final wouldn’t stick, I was afraid to paint on top of the stencil in fear that it would bleed through, so I used a chalk pen to outline the number.
7. I removed the vinyl and then used a very fine tip paint brush to fill in the lines.
8. My number 2 is complete.
9. After the paint dried, I filled the can about 3/4 full with soil (FYI, I am no expert on succulents and every tutorial I read all recommended a different soil. So I just used some potting soil I had left over.)
10. Lastly, I planted my succulents and gave them a good watering.
Linking to some of the parties here along with Today’s Creative Blog, TipJunkie, Home Stories A 2 Z, Funky Junk Interiors, The Shabby Nest, My Repurposed Life, The Shabby Creek Cottage, Thrifty Decor Chick