DIY Side Table Makeover With Naturally Distressed Wood

7.2K Flares Twitter 20 Facebook 52 Google+ 9 Pin It Share 7.1K StumbleUpon 1 7.2K Flares ×

I’m finally caught up from being on vacation (kind of), emails are responded to, laundry is complete and I finally found some time to sit down and write a few posts. Which means I’m back with another before & after project! I’m so excited to share with you my DIY Side Table Makeover With Naturally Distressed Wood!

Upcycled Side Table

I am pretty excited about my ‘new’ side table for our family room. And by ‘new’ I mean, the newer version of our current side table. Oh how I love a little upcycle project!

Upcycled Side Table Before and After

Here is what my side table used to look like. There was nothing wrong with it per se, I just wanted something brighter and a little different for our new space. Using spray paint and some old distressed wood, I turned this old side table into a modern yet rustic side table.

Upcycled Side Table

I LOVE reclaimed wood and I was so excited to be able to use some on this project. The natural distressed tones are gorgeous and bring a whole new life to this little table.

Upcycled Side Table

Just look at those beautiful natural tones, the greens and browns and grays. Swoon.

Upcycled Side Table

I started by applying one coat of spray primer, followed by 2 coats of White Spray Paint.

Upcycled Side Table

Now the story of where I got the wood is actually kind of funny. The previous owners of our home planted a raspberry bush on the side of our house. It was on the side of the house where our garbage cans live and it’s not a pretty space. Needless to say the raspberry bush was huge and not very prosperous so my husband decided to take it out.

Under the bush laid a worn and collapsed trellis. It was apparent that it had been under the bush for many years. To some it may have looked like a piece of junk, but the minute I saw the colors of the wood I saw potential and I couldn’t wait to get my hands on it!

I took the trellis apart and cut it into 17″ pieces. The size of the top of the side table. I gave them a good scrub and then laid them out to dry.

Upcycled Side Table

Using my trusting Gorilla Glue, I glued each piece onto the top of the side table. I didn’t use a guide, I just placed each piece down and let the natural colors create their own pattern.

Upcycled Side Table

I aligned the wood on the left side of the table, and because my cuts aren’t perfect, the right side turned out to be a little uneven. After the glue was dry, I used my Dremel to make one clean cut to even out the edges.

Next, I gently sanded the wood with an electric hand sander and then gave it 3 coats of Semi-Gloss Sealer.

Upcycled Side Table

And now I have a crisp and clean new side table with tons of character.

Linking to some of the parties here along with Today’s Creative BlogTipJunkieHome Stories A 2 Z, Funky Junk Interiors, The Shabby NestMy Repurposed LifeThe Shabby Creek CottageThrifty Decor Chick

Comments

1. Jen says

Oh wow Taryn! It turned out beautifully … love the colors you chose. It went from ho-hum, forgettable to look-at-me, gorgeous … LOVE it!

Fabulous makeover!

I am now following you on Pinterest.

I also wanted to invite you to my blog. I just began a new linky party entitled “Friday’s Favorite Pin” where you link up your favorite pin of the week. And yes, it can be your own creation.

Have a lovely weekend.

Woah mama! Who knew an ugly, old trellis could be such a GORGEOUS tabletop! You’re brave, creative AND gorgeous {lucky chick!}

4. Tani@Tagana Rose says

This looks AMAZING Taryn! I love all those shades of wood. It is truly a stunning table.
    Have a wonderful weekend:)

LOVE, LOVE, LOVE! This is an amazing transformation! I love that you painted the legs and lower shelf white. It makes the reclaimed wood stand out and appear so much more beautiful! An absolutely amazing piece of furniture!

this table is SO SO SO cute! I have a side table from a yard sale that I’ve been trying to figure out what to do with… this is going to be my afternoon project!

It really is fantastic. Amazing what something seemingly useless and trashbound could become. You had a great eye for the finished product and your follow through proved your genius!
    Love it!
    Liz

8. Gail says

Perfect! I love what you did with “trash wood”–I’m going to be looking for some old wood to do this. Thanks for the great idea. Gail (BibleLoveNotes.com)

Just gorgeous!!! I always love your projects, but life is so crazy, I just realized I hardly ever tell you :) Your blog is one of my favs and I am always inpsired by you! Thanks for sharing this amazing upcycle. You are a girl after my own heart :)

10. Jeannie-JB says

Love the Naturally Distressed Wood used on the top of the little side table. It adds SO much character and pazaaaz! Gonna be breaking out my drimel tool soon. Thanks for the tips – You are such an inspiration!.

Wow, that looks beautiful.. and expensive! I love that part about DIY, making things that look expensive, and would be if sold in a store, but aren’t because you did it all on your own! Awesome

Well spotted Taryn! Just shows that you can make something nice out of almost anything with a little work!

I guess you need to watch out for nasty chemicals if the timber is treated, but then you’ll be wearing a mask when sanding anyway……
    Regards

13. Jess Rieken says

Hey Taryn…I’m Jessica, Maria’s friend. I met you this weekend at the garage sale. She told me about your blog so I checked it out and LOVE IT! You’re so cute and your projects are amazing. I will definitely be trying this table makeover. It was great meeting you…I’m sure I’ll be seeing more of you during the wedding planning!

This is gorgeous! I love reclaimed wood, and I love the stories about how people get ahold of it! (bums me out that I haven’t had such good luck ;) ). Great before-and-after :)

15. Jordan Biasetti says

I am so impressed with this project. The final product is incredible, and I feel like I can actually do this myself! I think I might give it a try….

1. [...] few projects on my list/ideas I am inspired by: + Side Tables Tutorial by Design, Dining & Diapers + Gold Striped Canvas by House of Creative Designs (Her shop just opened today and its amazing!! [...]