Simple Burlap Christmas Stockings

623 Flares Twitter 1 Facebook 16 Google+ 15 Pin It Share 583 StumbleUpon 8 623 Flares ×

For the past two days I have been busy ‘trying’ to decorate our house for Christmas! You see, I decided it would be fun to just ‘add some red’ to our holiday decor. I thought it would be easy enough to just throw a few red ornaments on the tree and call it good, but those extra ornaments changed the entire look of the tree and now the entire look of the room. Needless to say, I am now I’m on my THIRD attempt at decorating our tree this year. All I have to say is thank goodness for the Dollar Tree that is 10 minutes from my house!

So in the midst of rummaging through ornament boxes, taking multiple trips to the dollar store and heading back into the woods to pick up more branches, I thought I’d pop in and share the Burlap Christmas Stockings I made last year for Christmas.

Burlap Christmas Stockings by Design, Dining + Diapers, DIY Christmas Stockings, burlap christmas decor

Last year, I went with more rustic Christmas decor, filled with burlap, golds and silvers. It was also Miss E’s first Christmas so I HAD to make a new set of stockings anyway :)

I made the stockings with basic burlap and lined them with a cream satin to add a little elegance. I also added a little pine cone and foliage for some bling. And like most of my holiday decor, all of my bling comes from The Dollar Tree :)

THIS year, like I mentioned, I’ve been changing things up and adding some red into the mix. Because I made very basic stockings, it was easy to switch out the berries and now they have a whole new look!

Do you have a staple set of stockings you put up each year or do you change your stockings with your decor? I’m still trying to figure this one out!

Linking to some of the parties here along with Today’s Creative BlogTipJunkieHome Stories A 2 Z, Funky Junk Interiors, The Shabby NestMy Repurposed LifeThe Shabby Creek CottageThrifty Decor Chick, Centsational Girl

Comments

1. Grey says

We always use the same stockings. Everyone has a different one so there is no confusion on which is the “correct” stocking. Stockings that are the same make for a better presentation though. I like your idea to mix burlap and satin.

These are so simple & sweet Taryn! I love the added pinecone & berries!

I almost added some red into our Christmas decor this year thinking it would be easier to find items to decorate with….because red is everywhere at Christmas! But, at the the last minute, I decided against it & went with my usual blues, tans, & creams! I did add a few new elements to our tree this year just for a little something different, but overall our decor is very similar to last year!

Here’s to hoping that the third times the charm!! Can’t wait to see your tree!

3. Julie C says

Taryn, thanks for sharing! This is a great Chrisstmas decoration idea, and is very understated. I would describe the stocking as casual elegance. Happy holidays from Chick Hats!

4. JaneEllen says

Your burlap stockings look anything but casual. They’re great and being able to line them? Wow you are a good sewer. We only put up stockings for our 2 furry kids now. Every year we buy them a little something for Christmas. I just might have to attempt to make some stockings for all four of us, hubs, myself and the 2 furry kids. You are an inspiration for me. Glad you shared this. Happy Week.

5. Shelley says

I love your stockings! They are gorgeous! We have been putting up the same stockings every year… and the fam loves them… but I have really been wanting to switch them up for something that goes a lot better with the decor we have been using the past 2 years… we’ll see… but I just want them to be happy! My husband is sentimental about them more than the kids are… I think they could go either way if I found something stylish yet still cute enough!

You are very talented!

Visiting from the Keep Calm and Link Up party!

Shelley

The red looks great with it – we go over board with decorations no theme because we let the kids do it. I like it to be about them, watching them do it is magical, I can have perfection when they’re gone. I do get envious when I see those beautifully made rooms though :)

7. Heather M says

These are beautiful Taryn! I have so much leftover burlap in my basement from my wedding decor. I think I will have to make something like these to decorate in my front porch this year!

Taryn, I have noticed that every week your projects are some of my favorites on my linky party. I just added your site to my RSS feed. I love so many of your projects, I don’t want to miss anything! :)