New Pantry Organization

14.2K Flares Twitter 10 Facebook 83 Google+ 19 Pin It Share 14.1K StumbleUpon 1 14.2K Flares ×

Come on, it’s January and every one is doing it. Organizing that is. January seems to be the month when every jumps on the cleaning and organizing bandwagon and guess what, this year I am taking a major leap!

Tomorrow marks the first day or our Organize-It Challenge, part of the Dog Days (of winter) Are Over series.  I’ll be totally honest, organization is not one of my strong suits. I’m the type of person that needs my house to be picked up and neat and tidy, but tend to hide my messes behind the closed doors. Know where I’m coming from? So when I heard that the first challenge was organization it was actually hard for me to decide on a project because EVERY single room could use some help.

After some thought and chats with the hubby, I thought I’d kick off our kitchen remodel with a new pantry organization system!  And my pantry didn’t just get reorganized, it got accessorized too :)

Pantry Before and After by Design, Dining + Diapers, pantry organization system, pantry organization, organization tips, closet organization

Yes, full disclosure here, this is what my pantry looked like just one week ago and  here it is today! What a HUGE difference, whew! I didn’t realize how scary it was until I saw the before and after. And guess what? I am LOVING how organized it is. But who wouldn’t?

To me organization is a really personal thing. You may laugh at that, but it is. Every one’s brain works so differently and processes things differently (I find this so interesting) so when it comes to organization you need to do something that works for you. How I organize my pantry might not work for everyone, but it works really well for my family and our needs.

I went into the reorganization having a pretty good idea of how I wanted it to look so my first task was to set out and find the right type of baskets. I found these adorable rectangular wicker baskets at Fred Meyer (A Kruger Store). They cost me $15 for a set of three which I thought is a total steal.

I started by taking everything out of the pantry, throwing away expired food (that always makes me sad) and then putting food into categories. I laid all of the food on the floor and then decided what types of baskets I needed to create. I ended up with 9 types of baskets that included: Coffee & Tea, Snacks, Sweets, Breads, Flours (for all my GF Baking Flours), Pasta, Nuts & Dried Fruit and 2 Baking baskets.

My next step was to place the baskets on the shelves in a way that made sense for how often we’ll be accessing them and by placing like foods together. And most importantly, I wanted the basket sizes to match :)

To top the look off, I created faux chalkboard labels using black vinyl, card stock, jute and white paint.

And lastly, I bought one big basket for the bottom of the pantry to store all paper and plastic goods. Those tend to get out of control! And of course our cookie cutter collection :)

I really love how it turned out and so does my husband! When I asked what he thought of it, he said next to the Family Room Makeover,  this was his second favorite project EVER. Hehe.

Dog Days draft

Have you been on an organizing kick lately too? Well, tomorrow it’s your turn to show off projects! Don’t forget to stop by tomorrow and link up your newly organized spaces. If you don’t have a blog, feel free to post them to the DDD Facebook Page.

Comments

Your pantry looks fabulous! I love those baskets & the labels you made for each of them!

We don’t have a pantry in our kitchen, but I so wish we did!! Our kitchen cabinets are packed full….actually, some of them could use some major organizing!! I’m hoping to tackle them at some point this year!

Beautiful job Taryn! Hope you have a great day!

I have a very similar pantry, Taryn! I really should do the basket organizing as no matter how you try to keep like near like, they tend to move all over. This is especially good for separating the GF foods and baking items. I am gluten free {Celiac} and have tried to keep all my foods in one area.

Oh wow…this just made me very jealous. I need a pantry overhaul. Actually, we just moved into our new home a month ago and this is my first time actually having a pantry!!! With that being said, I’m failing at making my pantry “work.” I may need to tackle it so it looks like yours.

4. Kristine says

Wow what a difference! It looks so neat and tidy now! I totally get what you mean about organizing being personal, it truly is based on your family and your current needs.

Looks great, Taryn! I love the faux chalkboard tags – clever girl! My pantry is in desperate need of organization as well. It’s teeny tiny and it’s packed full of stuff! It’s on my list of things to tackle! Have a great week :)

Love it,my panty is very deep almost 36″ and over 6 1/2 ‘ tall, some things get lost in there like the Bermuda triangle,going to incorporate your ideas to mine,thanks

Love it will try and incorporate your ideas to my pantry, it is very deep, over 36″ & well over 6’6″ tall, some areas are like the Bermuda triangle, things are never seen again, thxs for the great ideas :)

Your pantry is almost exactly my pantry. I’ve been tossing around the idea to do exactly what you did. it really turned out fantastic and has inspired me to do the same. Thanks!

We must be on the same BRAIN WAVE, Taryn. Except I think you actually caught the wave and I just watched it go by LOL!! I have been looking at my Pantry and SIGHING thinking something has seriously got to happen in there.. :) Great job!
    Angelina

10. Brittany Kuhn says

your pantry looks awesome!! I love the baskets and the chalkboard labels just top it off! Hopefully this helps you keep organized.

This looks amazing! Thanks for sharing and the great motivation! I love the baskets you used. Nothing beats a clean, organized pantry. Have a great day!

where did you get the baskets? I would LOVE to do something like this but am so afraid it will cost a small fortune which is not happening at the moment. I really love the look of those baskets and makes your pantry look so clean and pulled together.. what I wouldn’t give :)
    stoppingby from sugar bee!

Taryn, what a difference! I love what you have achieved with your pantry. I’m working through mine at the moment (among another 100 projects that are going on at the same time!) so hopefully I’ll end up with something us nice and tidy as yours :)

It looks wonderful!
    We don’t have a pantry…I wish we did. We do have tons of kitchen cabinets though. Most all of them need to be reorganized, especially since I’ve gotten back into stockpiling with sales and coupons.

Hopping over from the linky party at Our Fifth House! I sooo need to organize our kitchen pantry, especially the floor area that is a mess of garbage bags, phone books, and who knows what else. Thanks for the inspiration!

I constantly emailed this blog post page to all my associates, for the reason that if like to read it after that my links will too.

17. Maria says

Your pantry certainly looks great BUT do you realize that these straw- or other natural fibre baskets do tend to attract bugs? There is always a change of “importing” bugs from grocery stores …. or our natural home environment harbors larvae or bugs ….
    Stainless steel, metal, glass (non-porous material) containers are a better choice for storing food items.

1. [...] Share on Facebook Tweet Baskets are great for organizing the pantry. You just need to find a few inexpensive baskets, print out labels for what those baskets are going to hold and then keep everything perfectly organized. Keep all of your sweets in one, your baking goods in another and so on. Choose baskets that will fit perfectly on your pantry shelves or even get a few that you can stack for even more storage. Via: Design Dining and Diapers – New Pantry Organization [...]

2. [...] Use baskets and other containers to keep supplies neat and tidy. All you need to transform your pantry are a few inexpensive baskets and a labeling system to label what goes in which basket. These baskets are great for snacks, baking goods, or whatever. If you have the room you might even get stackable baskets to maximize the space. Via: Design Dining and Diapers – New Pantry Organization [...]