Moss Monogram Door Sign For Spring

3.5K Flares Twitter 2 Facebook 19 Google+ 8 Pin It Share 3.4K StumbleUpon 1 3.5K Flares ×

One of my favorite things about blogging are all of the amazing people I’ve met and the opportunities that have come my way. One of my favorite times of each month is when I get the chance to guest post over at The 36th Avenue. Desireé is the sweetest and I love popping by for a visit. This was the project I shared over there last week and now it’s here for all of YOU!

I’ve been on a little pallet kick lately. More specifically, making mini pallets using wood shims. I started with a Valentine’s Day Pallet, I just finished an Easter Pallet and now I have for you a little Moss Monogram Pallet Sign for your front door (or anywhere!).

Moss Monogram Pallet Sign by Design, Dining + Diapers

Moss Monogram Pallet Sign by Design, Dining + Diapers

Moss Monogram Pallet Sign by Design, Dining + Diapers

I tend to lean towards more non-traditional door decor. While I love a good wreath, I also enjoy unconventional decor ( like my Christmas Twig Wreath). And I think this definitely fits into a the more unconventional category. But if this isn’t your type of door decor, try placing it on a mantel or in the kitchen!

Supplies Needed:

- Pack of Wood Shims

- Gorilla Wood Glue

- Preserved Sheet Moss

- Snow White Americana Acrylic Paint and Paint Brush

- Monogram Stencil

- Hot Glue Gun

- 3″ Burlap Ribbon

Moss Monogram Pallet Sign by Design, Dining + Diapers

Start by removing the shims from the packaging and laying two shims side by side. Place a line of wood glue down the middle of each shim.

Carefully place the shims on top of the two base pieces. Note* shims are not even, they have a slight angle to them, so be cautious of the difference in the thickness. For my first pallet I rotated the sides to create more of a rugged look and with this projects I kept the shims at the same angle to give it a cleaner look.

Allow the glue to dry.

Moss Monogram Pallet Sign by Design, Dining + Diapers

Give the pallet one coat of white acrylic paint. I love working with acrylics because they dry so fast! Perfect for a nap time project :)

Moss Monogram Pallet Sign by Design, Dining + Diapers

Next, I used my Silhouette to cut out my monogram and then traced it onto the pallet.

Moss Monogram Pallet Sign by Design, Dining + Diapers

This was my first time working with sheet moss and it is really easy! I used a pair of basic scissors to cut strips the same width as my monogram. I had it pretty easy since a “W” has very straight lines, which made this project really easy to complete since I didn’t have any corners to work around. The moss was very easy to cut and easy to shape.

Moss Monogram Pallet Sign by Design, Dining + Diapers

I hot glued each strip in place until the entire “W” was filled. And if there were any gaps, I just pulled off a tiny piece of the moss and glued it in place. Moss is very forgiving and everything blends in the end. My kind of project. Moss Monogram Pallet Sign by Design, Dining + Diapers To top things off, I took some 3″ burlap ribbon and stapled it onto the back of the pallet to create a hanger.

Moss Monogram Pallet Sign by Design, Dining + Diapers

So what do you think? Does it scream spring?! I hope so because I’m really ready for it :)

Linking to some of the parties here along with Today’s Creative BlogTipJunkieHome Stories A 2 Z, Funky Junk Interiors, The Shabby NestMy Repurposed LifeThe Shabby Creek CottageThrifty Decor Chick

Comments

I could even see doing this with a cirlce of moss on top and then a bright letter in the center. Phhh I think I have a new project for this weekend! You did such fab job, I can’t wait to try my own!

This is such an eye-catching piece; the contrast of the green moss and white boards is just stellar. I’ve never thought about working with moss before, but this has me inspired to try it. And I’ve got a Silhouette Cameo, so that makes the monogram shape really easy.

I love this… I was just thinking of doing something similar to it the other day, but I don’t have sheet moss…just the bagged kind. I’m thinking I’m in for quite a messy project. Yours turned out adorable! I love the burlap hanger for it too. So very clever. Thanks for sharing.
    Blessings,
    Nici

4. Ally Watson says

Taryn, you are seriously the bomb. I love your blog so much–and I have never been a blog person or followed anyones “blog” before. I love your style! And then, I find out your in Seattle!? me too! And a stay at home mom!? Me too! Crazy! I hope to run into you one day at a park or something when your out with Miss E! I am also crazy about your shim project and now want to do the moss one!! My 3 1/2 yr old son, Roarke, and I made the bunny one! We went to Lowes together, got the supplies, painted it and hung it up! He is so cute…he calls it the “cable project”. It doesnt make any sense, but to a 3 1/2 year old, he really thinks he knows what he is talking about! I have a ton of your stuff pinned onto my pinterest page too and have been inspired by so many of your projects! Just wanted to say hi and how much I enjoy your style, creativity and ideas! Thanks!

Wow that does sheet moss does look easy to work with.. I’m going to have to try something with it.. I love your sign. The monogram was an awesome idea :)

Stopping by from the TT&J link up.. Hope you’re having a wonderful evening!

6. Katie says

Great monogramed door sign. I haven’t had the best luck making wreaths I’d like to hang on the front door. This is a fabulous substitution! It looks classy and clean…which I love. Thanks for sharing!!!

7. jules p says

this is so adorable. and my friend’s last name starts with a “w”…so I think I will make this for her. Then try one for me. but mine has a curve..hope it looks as good!

8. JaneEllen says

HI Taryn Boy the weeks are flying by aren’t they? Pretty soon you’ll be showing us your wonderful new baby, can hardly wait.
    I’m kinda tardy seeing/noticing this post. Love it. I bought some sheet moss today with my HL coupon so think I’ll be making your monogram door hanger. I like something different than typical wreath so this is up my alley, lo
    . We have all kinds of pallets but unless I ask for the boards he’s prised off somebody else uses them. Think I’ll have to get myself a pkg .of those shims. Want to hit Lowe’s anyway so I can see what they have on reject paint shelf. I’ve gotten several of their paint sample jars for $1 on several occasions, gotta like that.
    I also noticed how many different, varied, wonderful kinds of burlap ribbon they carry close to the wedding/botanical section besides what they have in the ribbon section by fabrics. I only buy the burlap and/or burlap ribbons when they’re on sale. Like the 50 %off much better, then I can buy twice as much.
    Hope the time flies by for you waiting for your new baby. How is Miss E taking it all?