Pregnancy Reveal Cake

314 Flares Twitter 1 Facebook 2 Google+ 0 Pin It Share 311 StumbleUpon 0 314 Flares ×

Last week I shared with all of you that we are expecting Baby #2 in September! Woo hoo! We are so excited for Miss E to be a big sister. This time around we didn’t wait very long to tell our parents. Even though I was jumping at the bit to tell them, I still wanted to do something special for the announcement.

Let me start off by saying, I am much better with a saw or paint brush than a piping bag, but I still wanted to share my little Pregnancy Reveal Cake with all of you. Just in case it sparks some inspiration :)

I was first inspired by these Save the Date Cookies I found on Pinterest. I just loved the look and thought I’d try to make a cake that resembled them. TRY is the key word here people.

Pregnancy Reveal Cake by Design, Dining + Diapers

I covered a piece of styrofoam with gray fabric to create a base for the cake. It is so simple to do and gives any cake a more polished look! I didn’t have a ton of time to create this so here is my secret…. this is actually a Rice Krispies Cake! I wish I had pictures of the inside to show you, but I completely forgot in the midst of all the excitement. I simply made a batch of Rice Krispies in a square 9X9 pan and covered it in buttercream frosting. Then I made marshmallow fondant and covered the cake.

Pregnancy Reveal Cake by Design, Dining + Diapers

Writing on cakes and cookies always gives me anxiety. I’ve always been self conscious of my handwriting (pretty sure I should have been a doctor), so trying to do something artistic with my handwriting never turns out. I tried to draw an ‘abstract’ calendar on top of the cake and check off my due date. It took my mom a really long time to get it hehe. I thought the pink and blue would have given it away!

Pregnancy Reveal Cake by Design, Dining + Diapers

To top off the cake, I attached a ribbon around the edges using corn starch. Very easy to do.

It was definitely a fun way to reveal our pregnancy, I’ll never forget the looks on their faces. We also gave each of them one of the cards that I created with the scrabble letters, you can see it here.

How did you reveal your pregnancy to your families?

Linking to some of the parties here along with Today’s Creative BlogTipJunkieHome Stories A 2 Z, Funky Junk Interiors, The Shabby NestMy Repurposed LifeThe Shabby Creek CottageThrifty Decor Chick

Comments

Congrats Taryn! What an exciting time for your family and what an adorable way of spreading the good news!

I’m heading to Seattle Friday and going over to Kyle and Nicole Evans for the afternoon. It would be fun sometime to meet for a cup of decaf or tea! I’d love to talk in real time! :)

What an awesome way to reveal your pregnancy to your family. Love that!

My Mom is the only one who lives in town so she was the one we told in person. We took her out to eat and gave her a present. Inside was a bib that said I Love My Grandma. She loved it and was so excited :)

Everyone else we told over the phone but they were of course just as thrilled.

Looking forward to following your pregnancy!

I absolutely love this idea and it turned out great!! :) Who doesn’t love great news and a yummy treat all in one? ;) Congratulations again!! BTW, you are a constant source of inspiration for me via Pinterest. I find myself pinning and re-pinning many of your images. Now I’m looking at a rustic DIY growth chart in your sidebar which is fabulous-you are just so creative!! :)

That is so cute. So much cuter than a late night phone call, which was what we did. I hope your little peanut pays attention to the calendar on the cake!

Awww, this is adorable!! How clever! I think it’s awesome you did rice krispie squares too. It makes for a square cake! You did a fantastic job! I love the fabric plate idea too ;)
    Jamie ~ somuchbetterwithage.com

6. JaneEllen says

Your cake is a wonderful way to announce to anybody about your pregnancy. I’m sure happy for you and your family. Bet you can hardly wait to find out what the new little one is going to be. Being young, having children is one of the most exciting parts of your life.
    What a great idea for a cake and you did a great job decorating it. Happy Spring Taryn.

Adorable Taryn! Almost makes me want another baby- oh wait. No, no no it doesn’t. I am good :) As a fellow virgo, I am quite happy of your Sept baby :)

Congratulations on your exciting news!

I have never heard/thought of making a rice krispies cake, but what a great idea! Especially if you’re short on time!