Industrial Decorative Spheres Made From Cereal Boxes

1.7K Flares Twitter 11 Facebook 29 Google+ 12 Pin It Share 1.7K StumbleUpon 0 1.7K Flares ×

So I have a secret and I finally get to tell you about it! I’m so excited to share with you all that I am one of the featured bloggers in the September issue of All You Magazine! They contacted me back in the spring about participating in their “Which Blogger Made it Better” series and our challenge was to make a decorative item out of cereal boxes that cost less than $5.

All You Magazine Feature

CLICK HERE TO VOTE FOR MY PROJECT

Industrial Decorative Spheres Made From Cereal Boxes via @Tarynatddd

I chose to make industrial decorative spheres similar to what you would find in West Elm. They are a trendy piece of home decor but they can also run you $15-$20 a piece at popular retail stores.

Industrial Decorative Spheres Made From Cereal Boxes via @Tarynatddd

My version made from cereal boxes only costs between $.15-$1.15 a piece! These would look perfect in an industrial and rustic living space or in a modern kid’s room, depending on what look you go with.

Today, I’m sharing the tutorial on how to make these cheap yet chic spheres!

Industrial Decorative Spheres Made From Cereal Boxes via @Tarynatddd

Supplies For Two Spheres:

- 2 Cereal Boxes

- Mini Metal Paper Fasteners

- Rustoleum Aged Copper Spray Paint (if you choose to paint yours)

- Mini Hole Punch

- Scissors

1. To make one large sphere, cut a cereal box into eight strips measuring 3/4″ wide by 10″ long.

Industrial Decorative Spheres Made From Cereal Boxes via @Tarynatddd

2. Using a small hole punch, make a punch on both ends of each strip.

Industrial Decorative Spheres Made From Cereal Boxes via @Tarynatddd

*If you liked the aged metal look, you would spray paint your strips here.

Industrial Decorative Spheres Made From Cereal Boxes via @Tarynatddd

3. Take 6 of the strips and stack them together aligning the holes on one end, secure them together using a mini metal paper fastener.

4. Fan out the strips so they create a star shape keeping the metal fastener in the middle and then gently arch each strip to the opposite  side aligning all 6 holes again. Secure them together using a metal fastener. Your base sphere should now be created.

Industrial Decorative Spheres Made From Cereal Boxes via @Tarynatddd

5. Take the two remaining strips and wrap them around the outside of the sphere (directly in the middle), and aligning the holes on either side of the sphere. Secure both points with metal fasteners. You may need to punch two additional holes in the center of two of the base strips to help secure the outside pieces that wrap around. Repeat again using 8″ strips and 6″ stripes to create different sized spheres.

Industrial Decorative Spheres Made From Cereal Boxes via @Tarynatddd

Not including drying time for the paint, they spheres took only about 15 minutes a piece to make. Super simple.

Industrial Decorative Spheres Made From Cereal Boxes via @Tarynatddd

If you like this project, I would LOVE for you to head over to the All You Facebook page and vote for me! You can also submit your own cereal box project for a chance to win $25 to Michaels.

I feel so honored to be included in the September issue of All You Magazine, huge thanks to them for this opportunity :)

Comments

1. JaneEllen says

Oh for heavens sake Taryn, love these so much. I’m going to be making these a.s.a.p. So easy and great looking. I might try to make one with heavier kraft paper, and maybe whatever else I can come up with. Love the look with the aged copper. Think I’ll also try the oil rubbed bronze and a buffed/hammered nickel. See how they look. I always save cereal boxes, just never know what they might be needed for. Hubs goes crazy when he sees them, I just ignore him, move them somewhere else.
    I have a sphere (can’t think of correct name for it now) on a stand our daughter gave me long time ago, think it’s been spray painted about 3 times at least. Can’t seem to make up my mind which I want. Its outside on patio table now getting some patina. Will be making a few of these, can hardly wait, good tv watching project. Sure glad you shared this project. Exciting girl. Happy week

2. Kate says

Found you via the Chic & Crafty Party! Love this idea, super cute! Going to rescue a few boxes from the recycle now to make a few!!

This is such a clever idea. It sure doesn’t look like cereal boxes!
    We would be honored to have you add our weekly Super Saturday link party to your list of parties. We go live every Friday at 8pm. Hope to see you at MadeFromPinterest.net!

4. brenda says

how clever. I guess I need to save some of those boxes I have been cutting down and decorating with pretty papers and duck tape for organizing purposes and create some of your spheres for some “pretty”
    thanks for the great tutorial too.

These are gorgeous ~ So many congratulations are in order…first and foremost Congratulations on the addition of your new Son ~ such a Blessing.

Congratulations also on being featured in All You {woot!} and I also wanted to stop by and let you know that you are my feature pick in this week’s Project Inspire{d}. I’m redoing my two younger son’s bedroom in an Industrial Steampunk decor and these will be just perfect in there on their bookcases.

Hugs,
    Mary Beth

6. Julie Corbisiero says

Hi, I love your cereal box spheres! That was so creative of you! I just finished reading the All You magazine yesterday and I saw your spheres in the magazine! Congrats, you did a great job. I also saw it on link party palooza.
    Julie from

Wow! I love quick and easy projects. Free makes it even better :-) And congrats on your feature in the magazine – I know I’m late, but being in print is always worth a high five!

these are just brilliant! I’ve been eyeing these industrial spheres for a while now, but i always take a look at the price tag and put them back on the shelf. I just can’t justify spending the money. these are a great alternative! i can’t believe how easy and inexpensive they are and how much they look like the real thing! Thanks for the idea!

1. [...] West Elm style on practically no budget?  Yes, it's possible!  Believe it or not, Taryn from Design, Dining + Diapers grabbed some cereal boxes out of her recycling bin and used them to create these stunning faux metal spheres.  In a store you would probably expect to pay $15 to $20 each for the real metal spheres, but nobody will expect to find out that you made these yourself, and that they started out life as humble trash!  Try painting them different metallic shades for different effects, or skip the metallics altogether and make them any color under the rainbow to blend with your decor.  [how to make recycled faux metal spheres] [...]

2. [...] West Elm style on practically no budget?  Yes, it’s possible!  Believe it or not, Taryn from Design, Dining + Diapers grabbed some cereal boxes out of her recycling bin and used them to create these stunning faux metal spheres.  In a store you would probably expect to pay $15 to $20 each for the real metal spheres, but nobody will expect to find out that you made these yourself, and that they started out life as humble trash!  Try painting them different metallic shades for different effects, or skip the metallics altogether and make them any color under the rainbow to blend with your decor.  [how to make recycled faux metal spheres] [...]