Do you have one of those recipes that instantly bring back memories from your childhood? These Chocolate Crumble Bars were a childhood favorite, a still are. The recipe comes from my grandma who passed away a few years ago and she made them every time we saw each other. They are amazing. Three layers of chocolate, peanut butter, marshmallows and crunch!
Every time I make these bars I think of my grandma. She was a lovely lady and I wish I could share them with her today. Since I’m not gluten-free, egg-free, soy-free, I’ve made a few modifications to them which I’ve noted below. I basically just a gluten-free flour mix, egg-replacer and Enjoy Life Chocolate Chips.
They are so easy to make. But just remember that they need to set for 12-24 hours before serving!
- Cake Base:
- ½ cup Butter Soften
- ¾ cup White Sugar
- 3 tsp. Egg Replacer + ¼ cup water (or 2 eggs)
- ½ tsp. Salt
- 2 Tbsp. Cocoa
- 1 tsp. Vanilla
- ¾ Flour (I use a gluten-free mix)
- ¼ tsp. Baking Powder
- 1 cup Peanut Butter
- 1 cup Chocolate melted
- 1 cup GF Rice Krispies
- 1 bag mini regular marshmallows
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix all cake ingredients together and spread into a greased 9 X 13 pan. One trick my momma taught me is to sprinkle a little powder sugar on top of the greased pan, it helps the crust from sticking and absorbs into the cake so you don’t see it like flour!
- Bake for 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle a bag of regular marshmallows on top of the cake crust and bake for another 10 minutes or until marshmallows are puffy but not browned.
- Let the pan cool thoroughly.
- Meanwhile, place the chocolate and peanut butter together and microwave for 30 seconds, stir, than microwave again until creamy.
- Stir in Rice Krispies.
- Spread over cooled mixture.
- Allow the bars to set for 12-24 hours until you serve (trust me, it makes a big difference).