How many of you have started your holiday baking?! It only feels natural to have the kitchen stocked with baked goods during this time of year. We’ve already been busy making sugar cookies and cupcakes and drinking hot cocoa. One of my favorite flavor combos this time of year is chocolate and peppermint! So we did another boxed cupcake mix hack and created these Chocolate Peppermint Cupcakes.
I’ve mentioned it here several times before, but I’m all about easy when it comes to baking with kids, so we keep several boxes of boxed cupcake mixes on hands at all times so we can easily throw together some fun and creative cupcakes. My absolute favorite gluten free cupcake mix is Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate Cake Mix. I keep this on hand at all times, I’m not even kidding.
This time we decided to put a holiday spin and added some peppermint!
And to top it off, a home made Peppermint Cream Cheese Frosting with crushed candy canes on top!
- One box of Chocolate Cupcakes Mix (I use Betty Crocker Gluten Free Chocolate)
- 2 tsp. peppermint extract
- 4 oz regular cream cheese
- 4 Tbsp. Butter
- 1 Tbsp Milk
- 2 Cups Powdered Sugar (Maybe a little more)
- 1 tsp. Peppermint Extract
- Crushed Candy Canes
- Make cupcakes according to package and add 2 tsp. Peppermint Extract.
- Once cooled make the frosting! Combine ingredients in a large bowl and mix using an electric mixer.The consistency may vary slightly depending on the exact temperature of the butter and cream cheese. If the frosting too thick, add ½ tsp of milk and mix again. Repeat if necessary. If the frosting is too runny, add ¼ cup of powdered sugar and mix. Top with crushed candy canes.
Enjoy these festive treats! Take them to a party or devour them yourself (shh, I won’t tell!).
YOU MAY ALSO EJOY