I have no idea why it has taken me so long to put this post up on the blog! Especially since it’s one of my favorite projects of late and the main subject happens to be pretty high on my list :)
A few weeks before the photo shoot I started planning Baby E’s outfits. Oh my gosh I’m so glad I had a girl because they are SO much fun to dress up! I knew I wanted one of the outfits to be a fluffy pink tutu, strands of pearls and a big headband. I had such a specific vision for the outfit and I knew the only way I was going to achieve the complete look was to make it. So that’s what I did.
I love how it turned out. Baby E had fun playing with the ruffles and we have some really great shots of her twirling the pearls. She is SUCH a girly girl :)
Here is a closer look at the tutu. I’ve also provided a quick tutorial at the end of the post.
Coordinating headband and pearls…
What you need to make the tutu:
– 1-2 spools of 6″ tulle (You can also cut tulle into strips, but once I discovered the precut spools I was hooked)
-Elastic for waistband
-1″ satin ribbon for trim
1. Cut the tulle into 22″ strips (or length of your choice) and cut the ribbon into 6 1/2″ strips
2. Machine sew the ribbon onto each end of the tulle strips
Now here are where things get a bit tricky because I totally failed and forgot to take pictures of the rest of the steps. So I’ll do my best to explain them.
4. Sew the ends of the elastic together to create the waistband. Baby E is on the smaller side for a 6 month old and the waistband was about 10″ and she still had some room.
5. Take each piece of tulle and tie it onto the waistband, just one tight loop will do the trick (like the 1st step in tying your shoe).
6. Repeat step 5 until the waistband is completely covered. The more the pieces you fit on the skirt, the fuller and fluffier it will be.
7. To keep the ends of the satin ribbon from fraying, you can place some Fray Check on the ends.
And that’s it! I’m thinking about making a Holiday version for Santa Pics :)
This tutu will be making an appearance at these parties :)